Thursday, July 4, 2013

Independence Day 7-4-13



Tonight before we started fireworks I took some alone time in the Garden of Easton to think about Easton. Last year was his first and last 4th of July and he was too tired to stay awake for fireworks. We were at a family reunion in St Georg...e and he spent the day swimming and playing with cousins and his siblings. I could see him this year, being almost two, taking pop rocks and throwing them at the ground near his siblings with a mischievous smile and his cute laugh enjoying the thrill of teasing them. Oh how i miss that sweet little guy! It also makes me think about how truly special this day of celebrating our independence is. I am thankful to our founding fathers and all the men, women, and families that sacrifice to keep our country free. Free to make choices for ourselves. I am most grateful for the freedom of religion. I believe agency (the ability to choose for ourselves) is a gift from God. I am thankful to be able to worship God how I choose to. I am thankful for the knowledge of the Gospel of Jesus Crist. I know through His teachings that I am truly a child of God. I know why I am here on earth. I know this earth is a test and through my tests and trials and how I choose to use my freedoms and agency will either draw me closer or further from Him. I know what happens after this life and I know I will be judged according to my faith and works while i was here on earth. I know my trials are given to me to help me draw closer to my Savior and if I endure those trials well I will become more like my Savior. I know I am also far from perfect, but I am thankful for the knowledge that as I strive to become more like the Savior and do the best I can to make choices that will draw me closer to Him, that where I fall short is where His grace comes in to make up the difference. As I enjoy my family time, fireworks, and celebration of this country without my sweet Easton, whom I miss dearly, I am thankful for my Savior blessing me with this knowledge. This knowledge is what helps me find peace so i can sleep at night. I hope that while everyone is celebrating we can all remember what a blessing it is to use this gift of freedom and agency for GOOD and making choices that will bring God closer to them. Happy Independence Day everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment